Monday, December 3, 2007

Post Conference Thoughts

Hello SDLCers!

Returning last night exhausted physically and emotionally (yet full of inspiration) from the two and a half day marathon we all ran together, I found myself frustrated. How in the world was I going to be able to reproduce yet another amazing SDLC experience to my colleagues, friends, administrators and, most importantly, students. How do you repeat the activities, friendships, conversations, insights and transformations you participate in throughout an event like SDLC for those who have no context and no understanding of your experience. Unfortunately I realized, you don't.

Do not get me wrong, it is important to share your experiences and talk with others about the complex issues you wrestled with over the duration of the conference. If we did not attempt to convey our SDLC knowledge and experiences we would betray all of those activities, friendships, conversations, insights and transformations that make the task of relaying them seem so daunting. What we cannot do is replicate the conference in our own schools. Each of our schools has its own culture, distinctly different from that of the SDLC culture, which means that duplicating the conference is not within our grasp. However it is no coincidence that in addition to being a "Diversity" Conference SDLC is also a "Leadership" conference. Whether you realize it or not you have a set of knowledge and tools that can be used to do something within your community.

As you return to your schools, take your leadership knowhow, your toolbox of exercises and experiences and construct a program, speech, conversation, assembly or article that will effect your community. Today in all of my classes I described the conference and had them identify for me the "Core Cultural Identifiers." Following this exercise I asked them the question, "Why is a white, European American, upper-middle class, male, heterosexual, able bodied, Christian, Professional aged person leading this conference?" After some fumbling around with that question I guided them to the concept of "Allyship," specifically mentioning to them the concept of a white allyship. This was not a revolutionary activity or a life altering experience for any of my students but it represents what they are ready to hear, listen to and, for the most part, accept.

As part of our attempt to support each other, tell us about your experiences your first day back in school and share with us your successes and failures as allies in your schools.

Sincerely Yours,
Hamilton

2 comments:

Tori said...

It was very strange to come back home, especially because I felt like I changed considerably in the few days at SDLC and my school was basically the same. Lunch time conversations went from challenging topics like different types of racism or homophobia in our society to everyday things.

One of the reasons I really liked our affinity group (especially the second one) was because being white in this country is not something people talk about very often. From my perspective, whiteness is not something that is thought of and discussed as much as other racial identities often are. Some of my friends and I talked about whiteness and race in general over dinner yesterday. I was really excited because I didn't even bring the conversation up. They wanted to know my perspective after the conference. It was exciting to have that conversation outside of the SDLC enviroment.

Unknown said...

Hey Y'all!
I was so inspired on the plane ride home after reading some of my new book I had purchased at SDLC (White Guilt), that I started writing ideas down on the paper in front of me. This organically formed into a rough draft for a speech. When departing form the plane my chaperone and tge head of diveristy at Marist School in Atlanta, Ga, Mrs. Williams, asked everyone what they had done on the flight. I explained what I had been doing while we were up in the air and she then told me that I would be speaking at my school's 3rd term Schola Brevis in front of the entire school.

This came as a major shock to me, but I also realized what an amazing opportunity I had been given in order to represent to the rest of my school our diversity club's mission. For a school of about 95% white people it would be great if I could get suggestions from you all so that I can inspire my 1200 student audience that sometimes can seem so collectively indifferent or in some cases fearful for the progress of my school to be a more accepting community. I also want to make sure that I represent SDLC, and all those in the fight for equality and justice in the best light possible, so if anyone would like to drop a line of inspiration for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Peace and Love,
Betsy Helmer

Email: betsymulvane@gmail.com